Even with the boom of gluten and allergen free, there are still less places to get safe pizza than you would think. A good pizza is like the Holy Grail of food allergy land. There are just so many things that can go contamination wrong in the process of cooking because of the glutinous flour, dough, and manner in which they cook with speed.
We have a hard time finding pizzas that are ever as good as the ones we make at home. But who has 3-4 hours to set aside and really get that dough right? If you do have time, here are some of our favorites:
1. Top 8 free - Enjoy Life Foods Pizza Crust Mix
2. Gluten-free - King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour Best for thicker yeasty crust
Here is a fail proof recipe for your crust from America's Test Kitchen
Have no time but want a great crust for home with your own toppings? Try a pre-made crust from one of the following:
1. Still Riding Foods - 6 or 12 inch crust, vegan, kosher, gluten free Local to Connecticut but ship everywhere
2. Gluten & Grain Free Gourmet Gluten & Grain Free Local to Ohio but ship everywhere
3. Kalo Foods Artisan Pizza Crust Gluten Free - 12 inch crust. gluten-free not dairy free. Local to North Carolina but ship everywhere
Next we cover where we have stopped that are as safe as they can be in their floury atmosphere and have mad pizza skills. But here is a little break for That's Amore. One cannot simply write about pizza without a little Dean Martin, or at least I can't.
Our pizza choices on the road:
1. The Wild Tomato Pizzeria Harrisburg Pa - Owners are very knowledgeable about handling procedures for celiacs. They offer most things on menu gluten-free. Subs on a real Schar hoagie! But the pizza is yummy and the ingredients, so fresh. They also offer gluten-free cheesy bread and pasta dishes too, but you can't dine in shop as it is take out only. Grab it on your way out of Philadelphia or on your way passing through.
2. Senza Gluten NYC - There are just endless tasty options at this 100% gluten-free restaurant that is Italian based deliciousness in everything they do. But if you are wanting pizza in NYC, stop here for lunch and dine on gluten-free heaven. Everything from appetizers to desserts are the stuff that celiacs have sugar plum fairy dreams about
3. Pizzeria Verita Burlington VT This Vermont pizzeria makes their own gluten-free crust in a dedicated space and have a separate wood fire oven for gluten-free! Imagine the tastiness happening in that last sentence
5. Harry's Bishops Corner Hartford CT This pizzeria was owned originally by the owners of Still Riding Pizza and makes an excellent pie. They have dedicated kitchen space and have excellent feedback about their safety.
6. Baker's Crust Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake Not only do they offer a very decent gluten-free pizza that is Farm to Plate. They also have some amazing other options like Bacon Mac and Cheese. We are putting a pic here because it is just so rare to find it anywhere gluten-free
7 Moonlight Pizza Raleigh NC Another Farm to Table pizzeria finishes out our list and they are divine. In house made gluten free dough that has been raved about online. They offer other options also and are worth a swing by if in the Capital city .
And here's hoping the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - Amore!